Wednesday, May 20, 2015

the new york public library {st. john}

Top, skirt and jacket: St. John; Shoes: Saint Laurent; Clutch: Charlotte Olympia (old, similar style here); Necklace: Bauble Bar; Sunglasses: Celine; Lips: Marc Jacobs "Amazing"

One of my first visits to New York City was with my family years ago. I was probably 9 or 10 at the time. It was the middle of July. And I remember feeling so incredibly overwhelmed, in the best way possible.

From the buildings, the hustle and bustle of folks passing by on the street, the honking of traffic almost at a standstill, the weight of the humidity making it hard to breathe and of course, the undeniable energy of it all combined -- it was absolutely electric. I like to think there's a mental picture of me in both my parents minds: wide-eyed, grinning, with a dash of "WTF is going on?!"

Hailing from Nevada, I wasn't prepared for this type of pace -- the kind that leaves you breathless if you don't have your wits about you at all times. It was strange and foreign to me, not necessarily frightening, but more like that dizzying feeling you get when you purposefully spin around too many times, just to see the floor and ceiling dance crazily around you, until you fall in a fit of laughter.

I loved it.

And then I saw the New York Public Library.

We likely had passed it during one of our double decker bus tours, cruising past Bryant Park, with it's array of trees sprinkled everywhere, offering shade to those hungry to read a book, sip iced coffee or simply to watch people scurry by. Rounding the corner from the park, there it was -- it's impressive columns standing guard at front, the lion statutes flanking either side and those marbled steps! Oh, those steps! This library had me at hello.

I loved how regal it looked -- distinguished and yet inviting -- like a quiet oasis or reprieve from the honking city surrounding it. I knew in that instant that I'd have to come back to that library someday and spend hours there.

I've since then been to the New York Public Library many times, sometimes to browse the stacks and cozy up with a good book and other times to simply take in the stillness of hushed voices and whispers, alone with my thoughts. It's my little escape, a quiet nook for me to return to, time and again, when I just need to hit pause from the city for a moment.

As for this show-stopping look? In continuation of my series with St. John, I like to think this number pays tribute quite nicely to my personal New York escape and the little girl who wanted nothing more to hop inside the library that day back in July. Except this time, she's upgraded her worn out Converses for a pair of Saint Laurent heels, a gala-worthy skirt and a chic leather jacket.

Photos by Lydia Hudgens

You can see the first part of this collaboration here. And make sure to check out a few more exclusive photos of this look right this way on Pinterest! 

This post was in collaboration with St. John. As always, all opinions and styling are my own. Thank you for supporting all This Time Tomorrow collaborations! 

20 comments:

  1. this is gorgeous, you look absolutely amazing !

    CLUB AVENUE / http://club-avenue.blogspot.com / instagram

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are stunning! I really love libraries in general. They're just so soothing!

    COOCOO FOR COCO

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunningly beautiful skirt! One of a kind elegance.
    Red Reticule | Red Reticule Collection

    ReplyDelete
  4. that skirt is absolutely stunning, gala-worthy indeed! :)

    You are so lucky to be able to move to a city that captivated you so much when you were younger, it really is a dream come true for you :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
  5. this whole look! that skirt is amazing! so beautiful. To be honest now every time I see or walk by the library all i can think about is Sex and the City...lol

    <3
    heather
    fashionistanygirl.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This skirt is just beautiful!

    www.perfectingjoy.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome skirt, I love the way it folds and is so full! And that moto jacket- love it every post!

    C's Collection
    http://chelseascollection.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look like a movie star in this outfit! NYC public library is one of the most beautiful, magical and historical places I've ever been to!

    http://lartoffashion.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. so fine style ;)))

    i invite to me too

    www.live-style20.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. So simple but so chic! I love that skirt to death. I now really need to get one! Great post.

    xoxo Nikki
    www.NikkisHaven.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a gorgeous skirt. Lovely look.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's a gorgeous skirt. Lovely look.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such beautiful pictures

    http://imyownmuse.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. The library looks beautiful and your outfit is stunning!!

    www.rdsobsessions.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. You look so polished and lovely! That skirt is... wow!

    http://www.wllwproject.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm in love with the look, so elegant & stylist.
    Christy

    http://www.am2pmchic.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I am so defenitively fan of yours looks! so class and chic. This is I try to propose on my blog but I am not too chic than you!
    Kiss
    Aurélie
    http://www.lespetitesbullesdemavie.blogspot.com

    don't hesitate to follow me on IG (L4L) : https://instagram.com/lespetitesbullesdemavie/

    ReplyDelete
  18. The New York Public Library is one of my favorite spots in the city as well. Beautiful photos!

    www.giltedgeblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. What beautiful lining in the jacket!

    xjole.com

    ReplyDelete

Real Time Web Analytics